Business, Labor & Employment Litigation and Compliance
Nannina Angioni is a founding partner of KAEDIAN LLP. She focuses her practice on business, labor and employment litigation and compliance. Ms. Angioni advocates on behalf of companies, entrepreneurs, and management in all areas of business and employment relations throughout California and Nevada. Ms. Angioni also proactively advises businesses, provides guidance on human resources and discipline issues, trains management and supervisory staff, and conducts investigations as part of a comprehensive strategy to prevent litigation and facilitate clients’ growth.
Prior to forming KAEDIAN LLP, Ms. Angioni was a partner at a respected mid-sized law firm, where she managed an active civil litigation practice with a heavy caseload in both state and federal courts. Ms. Angioni’s practice covered a full spectrum of litigation in single and multi-plaintiff lawsuits and administrative hearings, involving claims of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, whistleblower protection, wrongful termination, wage and hour violations, Labor Code violations, disability accommodations, breach of contract, unfair business practices, and privacy rights violations. Ms. Angioni quickly established an impressive track record for her clients, obtaining summary judgment and early dismissals in numerous cases. Through effective use of investigation techniques, strategically aggressive discovery and motion practice, Ms. Angioni secured successful results that mitigated client exposure and facilitated business continuity. She was also instrumental in helping clients achieve compliance with applicable regulations by drafting and revising employee handbooks, personnel policies and procedures, contracts, and employee documents and also conducting mandatory trainings and employee investigations.
Early in her private practice career, Ms. Angioni worked as an associate at a boutique litigation firm that specializes in plaintiff-side employment and tort actions. At this firm, Ms. Angioni developed an understanding of what drives plaintiffs to file claims and ways in which businesses can proactively curtail litigation exposure. Handling a significant caseload also allowed Ms. Angioni to hone strategic and technical skills that she uses in and out of the courtroom to ensure swift action on all fronts.
Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Angioni served as a certified law clerk in the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, where handled preliminary hearings in criminal cases that still inform much of the crossover work she encounters when sharing the bench with KAEDIAN LLP’s other partners.
Ms. Angioni received her J.D. from Pepperdine University School of Law and her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Pepperdine University. While in law school, she served as an extern to Honorable Robert W. Alberts during his tenure with the United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California.
When not engaged in legal practice, Ms. Angioni is an active member of the community, an avid speaker and a frequent volunteer for causes she is passionate about. She is a member of the California State Bar Committee on Administration of Justice, the California Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Section and the City Club of Los Angeles’s Young Executives Committee. She has participated in many speaking engagements, including offering Continuing Legal Education seminars, harassment and discrimination compliance training and corporate leadership presentations on the legal implications of common human resources issues. She is also a volunteer and member of the planning committee for the Dress For Success Power Walk, an Advisory Board Member of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, and a volunteer for the Venice Family Clinic.
Ms. Angioni is admitted to practice law in both California and Nevada, as well as before the United States District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
AWARDS, PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS:
- Presenter, three part series, Employment Law Compliance – Basic Training, presented to national management and supervisor staff of publicly traded company
- Presenter, Harassment and Discrimination compliance training – presented to all city employees and management staff
- Speaker, Joseph B. Campbell American Inn of Court, Discrimination in Employment (CLE event)
- Speaker, Elimination of Bias: Women in the Practice of Law (CLE event)
- Speaker, City Club of Los Angeles, Lawyers Lunch Meeting, “Top 10 Ways to Avoid Employee Lawsuits”
- Speaker, City Club of Los Angeles, Lawyers Dinner Meeting, “Protecting Your Business from Employee Claims”
- Obtained pre-answer dismissal of lawsuit alleging wrongful termination.
- Obtained summary adjudication of wrongful termination cause of action based upon alleged retaliation for reporting unlawful conduct.
- Obtained dismissal of wrongful termination cause of action brought against corporation and its shareholders.
- Obtained pre-litigation dismissal, and complete walk-away from case, threatened against corporation and its owner for alleged wrongful termination and gender bias.
- Defended police department against claims that an officer had been wrongfully terminated from the force due to his military commitments.
Employment Discrimination and Harassment Causes of Action:
- Successfully defended police department against an officer’s age discrimination and harassment claims.
- Obtained summary adjudication and dismissal of plaintiff’s claims alleging pregnancy discrimination and gender-based harassment.
- Obtained summary adjudication and dismissal of plaintiff’s causes of action alleging discrimination and harassment based on race.
- Obtained complete dismissal of lawsuit alleging harassment and discrimination on account of plaintiff’s race, gender, and alleged disability.
- Obtained dismissal of employee claims brought through Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
Wage and Hour Class Actions:
- Successfully defended corporations against wage and hour claims involving allegations that the companies failed to provide employees with meal breaks, rest periods, overtime pay, itemized wage statements, and reimbursements.
- Obtained dismissals in Labor Commission proceedings filed by former employees alleging meal break, rest period, and paycheck violations.
Retaliation for Complaining About Unlawful Conduct:
- Obtained summary adjudication and dismissal of plaintiff’s retaliation and whistleblower protection causes of action against a medical products company.
- Defended police department against claim that department retaliated against officer who complained about alleged unlawful conduct.
Labor Law Compliance:
- Drafted, reviewed, and revised employee handbooks and employee forms for various companies.
- Counseled corporate clients in connection with day-to-day labor and employment inquiries, personnel file audits, complaint handling, internal investigations, and management best practices.
- Conducted internal investigations for companies who receive employee complaints regarding harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and unfair business practices.
- Successfully defended companies in investigations conducted by the Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
Breach of Contract and Related Business Claims:
- Obtained summary judgment of lawsuit alleging conversion, fraud, intentional interference with contractual relationships, and conspiracy.
- Obtained complete dismissal of lawsuit alleging medical business owner violated independent contractor agreement with physician.
- Obtained summary adjudication of cause of action alleging violation of Business & Professions Code § 17200, intentional interference with prospective contractual relations, and unfair business practices.
- Successfully represented produce distributor in defense of breach of contract claims by a foreign produce grower.
- Successfully represented interior design company for breach of contract claims against development and construction companies for failing to uphold promises regarding certain contractual benefits.
- Obtained dismissal of breach of contract and common count causes of action brought against technology distribution company.
Public Entity Defense:
- Successfully represented public entity and peace officers accused of wrongfully arresting person who carried a loaded firearm while driving on city streets.
- Successfully represented public entity and peace officers accused of wrongfully arresting person who was in possession of narcotics.
- Represented public entity against claims that it violated the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) in connection with a peace officer’s employment.
- Successfully defended peace officer against negligence claims arising from a vehicle collision.
- Represented public entity against claim that its park employees negligently caused a person to sustain personal injuries when closing down the park.
- Represented public entity against claims that a defective traffic signal caused a car accident and resulting personal injuries.
- Represented public entity against claims that it maintained a dangerous condition in its park and recreational areas.